This page contains a lot of learnings and notes I use for web scraping
- It is hard to capture requests which open a new tab. To overcome that in a developer tools window press F1 and select "Auto-open DevTools for popups". This will open and capture requests done by the popup.
- If the popup closes automatically then the DevTools also closes. This then makes it hard to capture requests from auto closing popups. To get around that we need to use a packet capture software like WireShark.
- LuaSocket can be used to scrape web pages which do not require SSL.
- The HTTP module is used for nearly all web scraping requests.
- To use the http.request with table input and if you provide a source make sure to provide the Content-Length header which contains the length of the total string of bytes that you will send in that request.