Recent Articles: About Me
I love making stuff and solving puzzles. I am mak...
Here are some Lua libraries that I have used or fi...
Intro :Trying to learn and standardize the Foreig...
This section contains links to everything related ...
Some notes on the C code of the Lua Compiler Lua ...
Circuit Design Issues
In this section I want to accumulate design issues for various blocks and circuits. Design process for production is mostly dealing and trading off with this factors.
Refer The Flash ADC
on page 9
- As the resolution is increased the number of comparators needed increase by a factor of 2. Thus area requirement increases a lot. One solutions to this is to use an interpolation ADC architecture as shown in the reference Figure 5, but that needs a diff pair with static power in the comparator architecture.
- The threshold steps reduce making the comparator input stages larger to reduce offset. If the comparator offset is larger than 1 LSB then the thermometer code is corrupted with a "bubble". This further makes the area requirement worse. It also makes the input capacitance much larger causing greater input loading and settling time.
- Larger comparator input stages cause larger kickbacks at sampling from internal comparator nodes. Some solutions are:
- Preceed the comparatgor input with continuous time diff amp - lots more power
- Reduce the resistor divider ladder network unit resistance - More power.
- The kickback currents ultimately flow from the reference buffers driving the resistor ladder so they should be made low impedance. More power dissipation.